About Linden Airport
Linden Municipal Airport is a principal aviation gateway to the New York City / New Jersey Metropolitan Area. It is "Federally Designated Reliever Airport" that serves based and transient Private, Corporate, Charter, and other similar aircraft. Without Linden these aircraft would have to land at, and further congest, the near by Newark International Airport.
Located between the major interstate highways, Rt. 1 and the Rt. 95 (New Jersey Turnpike), Linden Airport provides quick and easy access to the entire region. Be it business or pleasure, New York City is easily reached via car, taxi or NJ Transit train. Linden is also only five minutes helicopter flight time to the New York City Heliports.
Linden Airport accommodates Single Engine, Multi Engine, Private Jet, Turboprop, and Helicopter aircraft, supporting them with fuel, hangar, maintenance, and parking facilities.
In the beginning....
The construction of Linden Airport for the U.S. Navy was begun almost immediately after the attack at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1942 by the Argonaut Realty Company of General Motor's Eastern Aircraft Division. The Airport was to serve as the test and commissioning facility for the Navy's new "Wildcat Fighter". These aircraft were being assembled across the street in the General Motors automobile plant that was newly refitted for wartime aircraft production.
After the war over 660 airfields that were no longer needed for military purposes were deeded to local control. One of the principal conditions attached to this gift was the requirement that the host community would be responsible to insure that the airport would be kept operating and maintained just in case the military might ever need it again, supposedly for the next war. In today's world of live satellite images, Cruse Missiles, and remotely piloted attack drones, the idea may seem quaint. However back then it was considered a vital part of our military's strategic industrial reserve plan.
Linden Airport was transferred to the City of Linden in 1947 to serve as a General Aviation Airport. The airport remained essentially the same until 1998 when all new hangar, fuel, ramp, and other facilities were constructed on the southern half of the property and operations officially transferred there on July 4, 1999. The 70 acres of antiquated original hangars and facilities on the northern side of the airport were demolished and converted to non-aviation commercial purposes.
In the years since the big move the airport has seen a steady stream of upgrades and improvements. The main runway was reconstructed, runway and taxiway lighting systems replaced, Automated weather observation system installed, the addition of a by-pass taxiway, a Global Positioning System Instrument Approach commissioned, a new complete perimeter security fencing, Aircraft tie-down parking areas refurbished, and other similar projects have kept Linden constantly improving.
The Rich History of Linden Airport
The following pictures depict the construction of the original airport and factory facilities and the aircraft. They provide a brief glimpse into the life, sacrifices, and the herculean efforts of our "Greatest Generation".